Thanks to everyone for great energy the first week back. Effective Speaking started well with many new attendees at the new Toastmaster program, band and drill got started, and 6 of our cadets wrote their power and glider flying exams that they’ve been preparing for each Wednesday in an effort to be awarded a national flying scholarship.
Friday evening the school was a hub of activity with the new recruits joining, classes running, instructors being evaluated, and the SSC busy providing canteen and distributing lottery books. The week wrapped up with a touching celebration of life for Officer Cadet Davidson’s sister and a reminder of the unpredictability of each day.
Highlights for the upcoming week:
- Ski day: The day is planned for Mount St. Louis on Saturday, Feb. 25 and is open to anyone either new or experienced with skiing or snowboarding. To reserve your spot please bring $10 for Sgt Hiltz starting Friday, Jan. 20. The $10 will be returned and can be applied to the full lift and/or rental costs. Details with full lift and rental rates will follow separately.
- Remind application: Thanks to everyone that signed up for the new Remind notices both at the squadron and team levels. As more people sign up it will become more active so have a look at last week’s post called ‘Remind’ so you can get signed up and not miss anything.
- Band clinic: if you play a musical instrument, there is a clinic being offered the weekend of Jan. 28/29. You do not need to be in band to attend but you do need to let CV Lockhart know if you are interested.
- Ajax Down Fundraiser: The SSC is planning a fundraising activity combined with a chance to have some fun for lunch on Sunday, Jan. 29. Block your calendars & watch for details!
- Summer Camps: The opportunity to apply for summer camp has reopened. Click here to print your application and submit by Friday, January 27 to 2Lt Farid.
- Monday, Jan. 16 7pm-9pm: Debate & Effective Speaking at the Hangar.
- Tuesday, Jan. 17, 6:45pm-9:00pm: Band practice at the Hangar.
- Wednesday, Jan. 18, 7pm-9pm: Supply night at the Hangar.
- Wednesday, Jan. 18, 7pm-9pm: Drill Team at the Hangar.
- Thursday, Jan. 19, 7pm-9pm: Rifle will be at the hangar for those signed up.
- Friday, Jan. 20, 6:45pm-9:30pm: Parade night at Donald A. Wilson, full dress.