Friday’s parade will be a night to remember! A celebration of a wonderful man and friend, Dr. Desmond Newman, framed by community supporters and surrounded by cadets, staff, volunteers and families added to a long standing tradition of the effective speaking competition.
MPP Lorne Coe, Deputy Mayor Derrick Gleed, Dr. Des Newman and visiting Rotarians, listened as 7 brave cadets presented their speeches chosen from 8 topic choices such as the impact of drones, Vimy Ridge’s contribution to Canada’s recognition, or environmental stewardship of Canada’s waters before having 3 minutes to spontaneously tell us about their hero.
With advanced coaching from the Toastmasters and their personal preparation, everyone had a message to share. Chosen by the Toastmaster judges to represent 2 VandenBos Squadron at the Regional competition on March 25 will be FSgt Alex Wainwright and FCpl Dhruv Upadhyay. We also took a few minutes to commend Capt. Chris Pearce’s ambition to take on a new life adventure which will unfortunately include a move that keeps him close to visit but too far to remain working with the squadron.
Summary of the upcoming week’s Activities:
- Monday, Mar. 6, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Debate & Effective Speaking (YLP) at the Hangar
- Tuesday, Mar. 7, 6:45pm-9:00pm: Band practice at the Hangar
- Wednesday, Mar. 8, 7pm-9pm: Drill Team at the Hangar
- Thursday, Mar. 9, 6:45pm-9:30pm; Sports night at Glen Dhu school
- Note: NEW LOCATION: 29 Fallingbrook St., Whitby
- Bring your PT wear and a water bottle
- Friday, Mar. 10 – Sunday, Mar. 19: Enjoy your March Break!!
We’ll resume Monday, Mar. 20th with Debate & Effective Speaking (YLP) at the Hangar!
- Year end trip: March 3 was the last date for snowbird points to determine the initial 50 cadets that will receive initial invitation to the year end trip. Initial letters will be distributed March 9 (correction from Friday) with deposit and final payment details. Cost of the trip will be $250 for 4 days, 3 nights leaving early Friday, May 19.
- Remind Sign up: You may have gotten the reminder this week of the CO parade via Remind. If you haven’t signed up yet, subscribe to the squadron general ‘remind’ notices at https://www.remind.com/ join/2vanden.
- Tagging: Mark your calendars for Mar. 30 – April 2 for our Spring tagging weekend. All cadets are required to cover a minimum number of shifts – more are appreciated. Parent drivers will also be required. This is a very important weekend so your help is appreciated. Please see the SSC newsletter (February) for details.
- In the news: Check out the print and online SNAP’d to see the squadron and volunteers recognized for their accomplishments as presented recently by the OPC.