It was a busy week and the calendar is filling up as we close in on our Spring tagging, competitions for many of our programs as a celebration of the culmination of all of the cadets efforts throughout the year.
Our 1st celebration was Monday as we recognized 17 cadets that completed the Youth Leadership Program. Each of the participants spoke of what they would take away from the program. Many commented about the confidence they gained, the friends and team that developed, another about the mosaic of techniques they gained that allowed them to weave together a beautiful piece of art and another about the experience of learning… that it’s not necessarily about being the best but doing their best. One cadet summarized it well when they said ‘It’s not about perfection. It’s about connection.’ Congratulations!
On Saturday, the SCC hosted the ROC4 Effective Speaking competition for participants from Pickering to Picton. David Brown, Program Development officer, from the OPC was in attendance. SSC lead, Tehmina Peshimam and CV Wityszyn coordinated the efforts of many adult and cadet volunteers who organized the day. SSC Chair, Lisa Codlin and her team, served up a yummy meal for everyone! FCpl Upadyhah and FSgt Wainwright represented 2 VandenBos amongst 8 other competitors. All did amazingly well and the year over year improvements as the bar continues to be raised. The day wrapped with the fantastic announcement that FSgt Wainwright was ranked top of the team and will represent the Region at the Provincial competition at Mohawk College on April 29.
Important Tagging Information
Summary of the upcoming week’s Activities:
- Monday, Mar. 27, 6:00pm-9:00pm: Debate Competition
- Tuesday, Mar. 28, 6:45pm-9:00pm: Band practice – General Sikorski Hall
- Wednesday, Mar. 29, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Drill Team practice at the Hangar
- Wednesday, Mar. 29, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Supply at the Hangar
- Thursday, Mar. 30, 6:45pm-9:30pm: Training & Regular parade at the Hangar
- Friday, Mar. 31, 5:00pm-9:00pm; Tagging – Emmanuel Reformed Church
- Saturday, April 1, 8:30am – 6:00pm: Tagging – Emmanuel Reformed Church
- Sunday, April 2, 8:30am – 5:30pm: Tagging – Enterprise Hangar
Highlights & Reminders:
- Year end trip: Invitations for the year end trip have been given out and deposits with the signed waivers have started to be received. Deposits for $100 (or payment in full) with signed waivers need to start be returned. If you were invited but will NOT attend, please advise ASAP so that the spaces can be offered to the next candidates. Deposits or questions can be directed to 2Lt Farid, CV Wityszyn or FSgt Peshimam.
- Remind Sign up: If you haven’t signed up yet, subscribe to the squadron general ‘remind’ notices at https://www.remind.com/ join/2vanden.