Recap of weeks activities:
On Friday cadets with some help from the SSC thanked all of the volunteers for their efforts and support as part of National Volunteer week. The treats were yummy and pictures that reflected some of our volunteers were fun to look at.
It was also our CO parade night with inspection and the cadets practicing their drill around the parade square. Lt. Wainwright commented standards were good but could be better. Boots need focus.
On Saturday, cadets were energetic and enthusiastic as they supported the Girls Take Flight event. They talked with others about their cadet experiences and were role models for those there to learn about and experience flying. Thanks to all that participated!
It was a busy weekend for Effective speaking and debate. FSgt Alex Wainwright made 2 VandenBos proud with his speech on the importance of Vimy Ridge. Debate also represented with intense arguments for and against the resolution that ‘Canada should adopt the use of drone technology as an ethical and effective component of our military defense strategy.
Things of Note and/or Action Required:
– Summer Camps: If you were chosen for a 6 week summer camp and are interested in possibly earning coop credits for the time spent, please see OCdt Podesta.
– Mini FTX: If you missed the Outdoor survival/Field Training Exercise in Ganaraska, plan to attend the mini day on May 7 at Heber Down. Arrive at 8:45am for a 9am start. Lunch will be provided. We will finish at 4pm. Cell service is limited so please plan accordingly. Pay close attention to the weather and dress accordingly. This is critical training for promotions. See OCdt Podesta and Lt Wainwright if you cannot attend.
– Bidii Charity Run: Saturday, May 13: Cadets will be able to participate in the 5K student run. Please sign up with FCpl Ford or FCpl Ellison this Friday at the latest and plan on meeting us at the hangar next Wednesday (May 10) with your parent/guardian to sign the entry form. You will be registered through the Squadron, but if you would like more information, see https://www.events.runningroom.com/site/?raceId=13597
– Year End Banquet: As the end of the training year is approaching, the SSC would like to extend the invitation to Cadets, Parents, Friends, Families, Staff and Volunteers to the Year End Banquet on Saturday June 10th at 6pm at Enterprise Hangar. This will be a great evening for all, but space is limited. Please reserve your seats at the SSC table on Parade Nights (Deadline June 1st). There is a $10 deposit for each Cadet (which is returned at the door); a cost of $25 for each guest 10 years old and over; and $15 for guests under 10 years old. Please join us for a wonderful meal, awards, celebrations and a chance to win a draw or 50/50 prize!
Summary of the upcoming week’s Activities:
Tuesday, May 2, 6:45pm-9:00pm: Band practice – Hangar
Wednesday, May 3, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Supply Night – Hangar
Wednesday, May 3, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Drill Team practice – Hangar.
- Thursday, May 4, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Boot shining & uniform prep – Hangar
- Thursday, May 4, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Rifle for those signed up w/ FSgt Browne
Friday, May 5, 6:45pm-9:30pm: Training and parade Night – HANGAR
- Summer Camps: If you’ve been given a camp offer, please return forms to accept or decline to 2Lt Farid as soon as possible. Also see the above note for those with 6 week camps.
- Year end trip: New letters for unfilled spaces were distributed on Friday. Please return ASAP. FInal deposits are due May 12. Deposits or questions can be directed to 2Lt Farid, CV Wityszyn or FSgt Peshimam or Sgt Gordon.
- Remind Sign up: If you haven’t signed up yet, subscribe to the squadron general ‘remind’ notices at https://www.remind.com/ join/2vanden.