Recap of weeks activities:
Lots of activity on Friday night again! With only a few weeks to go until Annual Inspection, there’s lots going on. Keep an eye for Friday’s (or Thursday) locations as we’ll be moving around to accommodate different needs.
Congratulations to the squadron’s new WO1 Beaulieu and Deputy Warrant Office Leone with their respective promotion and new assignment announced on Friday. With annual inspection quickly approaching this team will be preparing the cadets for a very successful day.
Also announced were Marksmanship awards for 3 cadets – FCpl Cohen, FCpl Wu, and FSgt Browne. OCdt Davidson congratulated FSgt Browne who received the Distinguished Marksman, meaning he shot two groupings of 5 pellets under 1.5 cm.
Last was the formal introduction of the squadron’s new Mascot, WO2 E. (Ever) Positive. Major Burns said he is our cheerleader and supporter to continue to look for the positive as the Major always encourages the cadets and team to do. Keep an eye on facebook for his adventures.
Things of Note and/or Action Required:
– Name Badges: If you do not have a name badge, please let FSgt Durchak know as quickly as possible. email him at: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Lost & Found: There have been an increasing number of items left behind or switched up between cadets. Please be sure to take all or your items and only your items when leaving cadet activities. There are a few items in supply – i.e. a sleeping bag, hoodies – so please pick them up if yours.
– May 18 Sports Night & Test Re-Writes: There will not be parade on May 19 as many will be away on the year end trip. Instead Sports night will be held on the 18th at Glen Dhu school for sports night. With proms that evening, we look forward to seeing those that can attend.
– Annual Inspection: Please be sure to have this is on your calendar for June 3 in Pad1 at Iroquois Park. Actual inspection time will be from 12:30pm and cadets will be need to be there early AM for practice – time to be confirmed. Parents, family, supporters, and general public are welcome and encouraged to attend. The display of skill from all of the cadets is great to see. This is mandatory for cadets as their last final training exercise of the year.
Summary of the upcoming week’s Activities:
Wednesday, May 10, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Supply Night – Hangar
Wednesday, May 10, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Drill Team practice – Hangar
- Wednesday, May 10, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Run participants sign waivers – Hangar
- Thursday, May 11, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Boot shining & uniform prep – Hangar
- Thursday, May 11, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Rifle for those signed up w/ FSgt Browne
Friday, May 12, 6:45pm-9:30pm: Training and parade Night – Donald A. Wilson
Saturday, May 13, 8:00am-12pm: Bidii Charity Run, James Rowe House, 301 Front St.
- Summer Camps: If you’ve been given a camp offer, please return forms to accept or decline to 2Lt Farid as soon as possible. Also see the above note for those with 6 week camps.
- Year end trip: New letters for unfilled spaces continue to be distributed. Please return ASAP. FInal deposits are due May 12. Deposits or questions can be directed to 2Lt Farid, CV Wityszyn or FSgt Peshimam or Sgt Gordon.
- Remind Sign up: If you haven’t signed up yet, subscribe to the squadron general ‘remind’ notices at https://www.remind.com/ join/2vanden.
- Mini FTX: Mini FTX was cancelled due to the weather. It will be noted for cadets who needed to attend and a new date will be set in the fall. Any questions please see Lt Wainwright.
- Bidii Charity Run: Registrations are complete. If more information is needed, see https://www.events.runningroom.com/site/?raceId=13597.
- Year End Banquet: As the end of the training year is approaching, the SSC would like to extend the invitation to Cadets, Parents, Friends, Families, Staff and Volunteers to the Year End Banquet on Saturday June 10th at 6pm at Enterprise Hangar. This will be a great evening for all, but space is limited. Please reserve your seats at the SSC table on Parade Nights (Deadline June 1st). There is a $10 deposit for each Cadet (which is returned at the door); a cost of $25 for each guest 10 years old and over; and $15 for guests under 10 years old. Please join us for a wonderful meal, awards, celebrations and a chance to win a draw or 50/50 prize! Please see the posting for how you can help.
- Summer Camps: If you were chosen for a 6 week summer camp and are interested in possibly earning coop credits for the time spent, please see OCdt Podesta.