It’s been a good week getting ready for the Annual Ceremonial Review. The band said a special Thank You to CV Lockhart who is moving to the east coast. The Aladdin ice cream cake and a book filled with best wishes and reminders of what he’d taught the cadets was presented. One Sr cadet thanked CV Lockhart for teaching him that respect is earned, not demanded.
The cadets that worked hard in the optional programs including Band, Debate, Drill, Effective Speaking and Rifle, enjoyed a nice evening with pizza and wings at Boston Pizza. Many thanks to the Officers, Volunteers and SSC that make these programs that develop lifelong skills possible.
Spring gliding round 2 took place on Saturday and it was a great time. Another bus load of cadets got the chance to see and feel what it’s like to go up in a glider.
To break up practice for the Annual Ceremonial Review. Major Burns spent a good part of the evening doing promotions for multiple cadets. Watch for pictures. At closing he announced 4 new Warrant Officer 2nd class promotions for Warrants Browne, Tchouffa, Wityszyn, Swann and Wainwright – whom he expressed his delight at being the highest scoring MRB participant that he can recall in his career. Congratulations everyone! Happy sewing!
Things of Note and/or Action Required:
- Annual Ceremonial Review: Final practice will be on Friday, June 2 on Pad 1 at Iroquois Park. On June 3, Sr cadets, parade positions, flag party and band members should arrive for 8:30am. All other cadets for 8:45am. Practice will start promptly at 9:00am. Wear civilian clothes and bring complete uniforms protected to change. Lunch will be provided. Actual inspection time will be from 12:45pm and parents, family, supporters, and general public are welcome and encouraged to attend. The display of skill from all of the cadets is great to see. This is mandatory for cadets as their last final training exercise of the year.
- Summer camps: more camp offers were distributed on Friday. Please sign and return by Friday or the camp will be returned.
- Young Eagles: volunteers are requested for the Young Eagles day at the Oshawa airport on June 17 from 8:45am-3pm. Please see FCpl Pennant to sign up.
- Banquet: Tickets for the banquet must be secured by June 2nd. Banquet is June 10th at 6pm at Enterprise Hangar. There is a $10 deposit for each Cadet (which is returned at the door); a cost of $25 for each guest 10 years old and over; and $15 for guests under 10 years old. This will be a great evening for all, but space is limited. Please reserve your seats at the SSC table on Parade Nights. Please join us for a wonderful meal, awards, celebrations and a chance to win a draw or 50/50 prize! The SSC is still looking for Auction and Raffle items for the night of the banquet, which will help to bring in much needed funding to next years’ program. Please bring items to Iroquois.
- Supply: Last chance for supply is Wednesday… Make sure you have everything you need for inspection!
- Boot shining … make those boots glisten and have fun doing it! Thursday will be boot shining night at the Hangar. Bring your polish and cleaning cloths and any other supplies. Learn from the seniors and have a few laughs at the same time. Last chance to shine at Annual Inspection.
Summary of the upcoming week & year end Activities:
Wednesday , May 31, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Band – Hangar
Wednesday, May 31, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Supply Night – Hangar
Wednesday, May 31, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Drill Team practice – Hangar
Thursday, June 1, 7:00pm-9:00pm: Boot shining at the Hangar
Friday, June 2, 6:45pm-9:30pm: Practice at Iroquois Park, pad 1.
Saturday, June 3, 8:30am-3:30pm: Annual Ceremonial Review. Details above.
- Saturday, June 10, 6:00pm: Year End Banquet. Sign up by June 2. Details above.