It was another busy week culminating with a planned CO parade that became a practice (weather concerns from the north) with the CO parade rescheduled to next week! For the cadets that just received uniforms, another week to get your shoulder flashes on, ironing done and boots shined. Talk to your flight commander or another Sr cadet if you`re unsure of standards or need some help.
The weekend was a busy one with the band spending 2 days rehearsing and the fundraiser at Ajax Downs organized by the SSC.
The band was sounding great and their formations are sharp. Many thanks to Lt(N) Kowalchuk, Lt(N) Cherry, that offered their expertise to work with the band members and to the cadets, officers and volunteers that made it possible.
A special shout out to A1 Connections for hosting 2 VandenBos at their 2017 Sunday Connections kick off. The SSC worked with them to plan a fun afternoon at Ajax Downs with food and fun. Many thanks to the cadets that promoted our great squadron and to the family and friends and the volunteers that participated. See more on our facebook page at ‘2 VandenBos Whitby Air Cadet Squadron (Official)’.
Upcoming Highlights – Possible Action Required :
Winter Field Training Exercise: This is mandatory training and be held in Ganaraska from Feb. 10-12. Pls advise Lt. Wainwright or CV Jefferson if you`re planning to attend. As mentioned, due to limited spaces of 85 (of 140+ enrolled cadets), priority is for L1 & L2`s to attend. Another day in May will be scheduled for missing cadets to be caught up in May. Date TBD.
Ski day: There’s a few spots left for ski day. To reserve your spot, get your $10 for Sgt Hiltz. Full payment is due for Feb 17. Full details and costs for the day have been published under a separate post.
New Uniform distribution: If you haven`t picked up your uniform, are missing parts or have shirt, pants or tunic that are too small (neck button on shirt cannot be done up, pants don`t come past the top of your boot, etc.), come to supply night to see what can be exchanged. If any Snr cadets have extra accessories – ties, wedges – please return as soon as possible.
Shiny Boot Award: Next week will be a CO parade and also an opportunity to receive the shiny boot award! There were some pretty shiny boots this week. Keep up the good work.
- Remind Sign up: Want quick, simple, timely updates in a text or email but with a security provided by having assigned administrators and without having to release phone numbers. Subscribe to the squadron general ‘remind’ notices at https://www.remind.com/join/2vanden. Program level ‘remind’ groups are also active.
- Monday, Jan. 30, 7pm-9pm: Debate & Effective Speaking at the Hangar.
- Tuesday, Jan. 31, 6:45pm-9:00pm: Band practice at the Hangar.
- Wednesday, Feb. 1, 7pm-9pm: Supply night at the Hangar.
- Wednesday, Feb. 1, 7pm-9pm: Drill Team at the Hangar.
- Wednesday, Feb. 1, 7pm-9pm: National Interview prep. at the Hangar.
- Thursday, Feb. 2, 6pm-9pm: Rifle team – practice at the Hangar.
- Friday, Feb. 3, 6:45pm-9:30pm: CO parade, at Donald A. Wilson, full dress.
Time to get ready to head to Ajax Downs for lunch and some fun! With lunch comes credits to try your luck at the slots this week and next!!
You can also buy 50<50 tickets, bid on great prizes including a 3 person flight around the CN Tower, meeting room time from Frantastic Café with Valentine cookies, ice wine & chocolates.
Cadets are welcome with their families and friends! See you soon.
Thanks to everyone that came out yesterday to get their uniforms. Looking forward to many new spiffy cadets at the CO’s parade on Friday!
Please check that you have all the necessary parts …
- Shoulder flashes
If you weren’t able to pick up your uniform, are missing pieces or have pieces that are far from fitting (a little loose is ok), supply will be open Wednesday evening from 7pm-9pm at the Hangar in portable 2.
A quick update & clarification ….
If you have been contacted by OCdt Davidson, please plan to attend Range on Thursday from 6pm-9pm at the Hangar.
Note the extended time and plan to arrive for 6pm…
Please find your name on the list and plan to arrive for that time. We have a lot of distributions to get through and will be as organized and quick as possible but your patience is appreciated. If your name is not on the list but you are a L1 cadet, please plan to come to the Hangar for Supply on Wednesday evening between 7pm-9pm.
How exciting that your cadets will be dressed in uniform for the next CO parade on Friday!
It’s a great time to be part of 2 VandenBos! At Friday night’s parade you heard about upcoming activities including a band weekend, the winter training exercise in Ganaraska, range competition, ski day, exertion competition, and sports night. Keep an eye for calendar and website updates and details. In addition 42 level 1 cadets will be given uniforms this week and is a reminder that our squadron is growing. Each new cadet brings more energy and ideas, more opportunities to lead. Now more than ever, all staff and volunteer efforts are appreciated.
You are a great group of growing leaders. That said, remember that you always a cadet – at training, school and other activities. Always strive to do and be your best and to represent the squadron well. Always remember to look for the good.
- Ski day: There’s still space for the ski day to Mount St. Louis on Sat., Feb. 25. It’s open to everyone, new or experienced, for skiers or snowboarders. To reserve your spot, get your $10 for Sgt Hiltz. Full payment is due for Feb 17. Full details and costs for the day have been published under a separate post.
- Band weekend: this upcoming weekend is a clinic and competition preparation at Anderson High, 400 Anderson St., Whitby. Saturday will be a clinic open to those that play instruments but you do not have to be in the band to attend. Message CV Lockhart at email@example.com if you are interested. Lunch and light snacks will be provided for both days. Pls bring your water bottles.
- Saturday: Please wear red squadron shirts for those that have them. Bring your instruments, music.
- Sunday: Regular civilian clothing. No ripped T’s, or tucked in shirts, etc. Bring your instruments, music and boots.
- Ajax Down Fundraiser: Plan to have lunch and use your credit to try your hand at the slots. A1 Connecting is hosting this event on our behalf. Details have been posted separately. Items for the silent auction are appreciated. Drop ins welcome but if you know you’re attending, message firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Summer Camps: The opportunity to apply for summer camp has reopened. Click here to print your application and submit by Friday, January 27 to 2Lt Farid. Your camp selections will also be posted to double check for any changes or additions before final submissions are made to national.
- New Uniform distribution: Level 1 cadets should plan to come to the Hangar, portable 2, on Monday evening. Watch for a separate posts with your name and time to arrive. *The help of 2-3 Sgt. or FSGt’s is needed to help with distribution. Pls contact ChrisBain84@hotmail.com if available.
- Winter Field Training Exercise: This is mandatory training and be held in Ganaraska from Feb. 10-12. (Transportation provided from the Hangar.) If you absolutely cannot attend, pls speak with Lt. Wainwright.
- Shiny Boot Award: Next week will be a CO parade and also an opportunity to receive the shiny boot award! This means that your boots need to be the shiniest and that your dress and deportment must be to standards.
- Monday, Jan. 23, 7pm-9pm: Debate & Effective Speaking at the Hangar.
- Note: Effective Speaking will be in the Durham Flight Center upstairs at the Hangar
- Monday, Jan. 23, 7:15pm & 8:15pm: L1 uniform distribution, portable 2.
- Tuesday, Jan. 24, 6:45pm-9:00pm: Band practice at the Hangar.
- Wednesday, Jan. 25, 7pm-9pm: Supply night at the Hangar.
- Wednesday, Jan. 25, 7pm-9pm: Drill Team at the Hangar.
- Wednesday, Jan. 25, 7pm-9pm: National Interview preparation at the Hangar.
- Thursday, Jan. 26, 7pm-9pm: Rifle – for those that get called for the team.
- Friday, Jan. 27, 6:45pm-9:30pm: CO parade, at Donald A. Wilson, full dress.
- Saturday, Jan. 28, 9:00am – 4:00pm: Band clinic at Anderson P.S. Details above.
- Sunday, Jan. 29, 9:00am – 4:00pm: Band comp. preparation, Anderson P.S.
- Sunday, Jan. 29. 12:30pm – 3:00pm: Lunch & fundraiser at Ajax Downs w/ A1 Connecting.
The Ontario Aerospace Council is pleased to be able to offer 3 scholarships for the 2017-2018 Academic Year for students going into or currently enrolled in an aerospace studies program at a post-secondary institution (college or university) in Ontario.
http://www.aircadetleague.on.ca/index.php/2017/01/scholarship-notice/ for full details! The deadline is May 15, 2017. Help spread the word!